A Pregnancy Scare // www.lovedoinglife.com

A Pregnancy Scare // www.lovedoinglife.com

If you have been following me on social media you know that I went to the hospital yesterday. I am very grateful to everyone who prayed for us and reached out to us. Today’s post is a full account of what happened.

At 7:00 a.m. I heard my alarm. I reached for my phone and opened Instagram like I do every morning. A few minutes later I began to experience contractions. At first it did not alarm me because I had Braxton-Hicks contractions before when I was pregnant with Charlotte.

Five minutes went by and the contractions increased. Before I could make sense of what was happening, tears began to stream down my face. I immediately texted Michael and told him he needed to come home. The pain level had risen to the point that I was on my hands and knees, still in bed, frozen from the pain. Tears were gushing down my cheeks, onto the sheets, and all over my cell phone. During the episode, I could hear myself say, “Ahhh” in sheer agony due to the pain but my head was saying,

“I can’t lose this baby. I can’t lose this baby. Lord, please don’t let me lose this baby.”

I have gone through labor before and know how painful it is and for those thoughts to consume my mind is saying a lot. The contractions went for such a long time, never let up, and were so painful I was worried about what they were doing to Bow.

A Pregnancy Scare // www.lovedoinglife.com

The contractions lasted for 30 minutes. Everything calmed down by 7:30 a.m. and Michael came home at 7:24 a.m. My brother Wendell came shortly after to take care of Charlotte. By 7:50 a.m. we were in the car headed to my doctor’s office. Once we got on the road we called Dr. Danna’s office and scheduled an appointment. After telling the nurse what was going on she then relayed that message to Dr. Danna. We were then instructed to drive to the hospital.

We ran into traffic several times en route. Praying that things cleared up soon I kept telling myself “everything will be ok.”  We finally got out of traffic and I looked down at my phone and saw dried tears all over it. I furiously tried to scrub them off. I fell back into panic mode. The need to have a clean phone was silly but it was all I could focus on.

A Pregnancy Scare // www.lovedoinglife.com

We got to the hospital at 9:00 a.m. After walking through the metal detector I proceeded down to triage and got registered. They gathered my demographics and I was then taken to get my vitals checked. Once that information was collected Michael and I were shown to a room. Stephanie, the nurse, hooked me up to a fetal monitor as well as an O2 sensor.  My blood pressure was taken again and she explained that they were going to monitor me and the baby for a bit to make sure no more contractions come.

At 9:38 a.m. a medical student, Michelle, came in to get a brief history and interview of what is going on. Michelle left the room to consult with the doctor about a plan of care. Twelve minutes later Dr. Sarah Gennette came in and said “based on what we are seeing it sounds like Braxton-Hicks.” The monitor showed no contractions and the baby looked great. After having my cervix checked Dr. Genette, she informed me that everything looked wonderful and there are no signs of dilation. Dr. Genette wanted to make sure there was no infection so while we waited for the nurse to return with results Michael and I played a game of Connect 4 on our phones. This helped to distract me.

Dr. William Crone, the attending doctor, came in for the final assessment at 10:02 a.m. He made sure nothing was missed. Dr. Crone left our room at 10:10 a.m. The time was now 10:14 a.m. and as we were waiting for our discharge papers when Amanda, from patient services, came in with pre registration papers for Bow. After a couple of minutes and signing papers Amanda left the room. Our nurse Stephanie came back in the room, the time was now 10:18 a.m., with our discharge papers. She explained follow-up instructions and made sure we did not have any questions.

Gathering our items we left the hospital at 10:30 am.

A Pregnancy Scare // www.lovedoinglife.com

Let me first say, Braxton-Hicks contractions have a wide range in intensity. Most people will tell you they are a mild discomfort. In my opinion that is not the entire truth. The pain was very intense. I felt like I was eight centimeters dilated and the contractions were coming every thirty seconds. I know what it feels like to give birth and the pain I felt was just that. If I was thirty-eight weeks pregnant my thought would be “Let’s go meet Bow!” and that would be wonderful. However, at twenty-six weeks going into labor is not so exciting.

All that said, there is so much to be thankful for.

I am so thankful that I have someone to do life with. If I did not have Michael by my side things would be much harder and I would hate to go through life alone.

Another thing to be thankful for is Winnie Palmer Hospital. Michael and I are so fortunate to be near a hospital that specializes in woman and infants. Which is why I chose a doctor who delivers there. The peace-of-mind is well worth any price tag. On top of that, everyone we came in contact with was very helpful, kind, and calming.

Last but not least, family. Not only do we have family close by who drops whatever they are doing to help us but the family we have afar encourages and lifts us up in prayer. We are very thankful to have such a wonderful support system.

I am so glad that Bow is staying put and continuing to grow. Most of all, I am thankful to have a God that I can run to.

Always remember even in the scary moments to Love Doing Life. 

A Pregnancy Scare // www.lovedoinglife.com

Similar posts Pregnancy After Miscarriage: What Is It Really Like?